Toothache Treatment In Fairfield, CA
Toothaches vary from minor to severe, but whatever the intensity, the patient wants to feel better as soon as possible. Gateway Dental Group offers the best in diagnostics and restorative solutions to relieve the pressure, throbbing pain and sensitivity to pressure and temperature of the common toothache.
What causes a toothache, and how can your dental team help?
Toothaches have various symptoms and many causes. Often, a patient comes to Gateway Dental Group with:
- Throbbing pain
- Sensitivity to hot or cold beverages or a sharp pain when biting or chewing
- Swelling of the jaw
- Redness and/or a pimple at the gum line
- Drainage that is bad-tasting
- A general feeling of malaise
- Persistent bad breath
- Toothache first aid
Our highly trained dentists in Fairfield, CA urge patients to contact the office as soon as any symptoms arise. The sooner we can diagnose the problem and treat it, the better the patient will feel and the better the outcome of any treatment will be.
Additionally, we recommend some simple first aid interventions to bring temporary relief before seeing the dentist:
- Take over-the-counter ibuprofen or acetaminophen for discomfort. Do not use aspirin.
- Ice the jaw, 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off, to reduce swelling.
- Rinse the mouth with warm salt water to control drainage.
- If the toothache comes from oral trauma, save any tooth fragments, and get to Gateway Dental Group as soon as possible.
Your dentist will examine aching teeth and perform X-rays to determine the type and extent of the problem. Commonly, the individual has a deep cavity and requires a tooth-colored filling or even a dental crown. If the tooth is infected, root canal therapy removes the diseased inner pulp and seals and crowns the tooth to preserve and strengthen it.
Unfortunately, sometimes a tooth is so extensively damaged it cannot be saved. In that case, we offer tooth extractions and help plan a tooth replacement for the patient. This may be in the form of fixed bridgework, a partial denture, or a dental implant. Dental implants are today's longest lasting and most beneficial tooth replacement option.
As soon as you notice painful dental symptoms, please contact Gateway Dental Group in Fairfield, CA right away for advice and an appointment as needed. Our friendly, caring staff wish all their patients to be comfortable and as healthy as possible.